wild strawberry ice (cream) recipe

IMG_6035

macerated strawberries and almond milk

As a child I was the weird one, I did not like ice cream. If it was take it or leave it, I usually left it. I tended to prefer sherbet over it’s creamier, heavier cousin.  The only times that I remember getting an option was at Grandma’s house. I hated going to grandma’s as a kid. She wasn’t the fun grandmotherly type. We did not stay up all night eating Cheetos and doing things that my mother would not have approved. We went to bed on time, ate proper meals, and were disciplined as needed, were forced to eat all of our over-cooked carrots, and we had to stay in the shallow end of the pool, etc, etc.

My grandmother went to one term of nursing school, so she knew things, medical things. One day, my youngest brother was way too thirsty, according to her.  He must have diabetes, she thought. It just so happens that she had a home test kit. She made this reluctantly little sh*t of a boy go pee in a cup. Surprisingly he did it without too much fuss and when she read the test she about had a coronary. According to her “scientific” test, he was nearly dead.

Grandma made one serious fault in her test, she ran outside while he was peeing. He had filled the glass with lemonade, not pee. Teach grandma to test her medical knowledge on those damn kids!

But grandma always had sherbet and ice cream.

I assume if sorbet was something that I had been introduced to as a child I would have loved it.  I consider this version here to be somewhere between a sorbet and a sherbet.  I think that almond milk is lovely in here and the absence of eggs is even more delightful!

IMG_6038

after being blitzed in the food processor

A few weeks ago I found this recipe featured on David Lebovitz‘s blog.  I also had a half flat of beautiful wild strawberries I was trying to use up before they went south.  This turned out so well that I made two batches and then moved into other fruits.  Today I’m making a lemon verbena, peach combo that tastes refreshingly delicious.  Keep your eyes peeled for that post.

wild strawberry ice “creme”

adapted from David Lebovitz: Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream

• 1 ½ pounds of strawberries, small wild ones have the most flavor
  • ½ raw table sugar
  • 1 ½ cups regular almond milk
  • 2 Tablespoons honey or agave syrup
  • juice of half a lemon
  • 2 teaspoons Poire Williams eau-de-vie (pear brandy), optional
  • 2-3 mint leaves, minced (for a hint of mint), optional

clean and hull the strawberries.

put in a clean bowl and cover with the sugar and allow to macerate for at least an hour at room temperature.

After an hour blitz all the ingredients in a food processor or blender until mostly broken down.  Small chunks remaining will add nice texture, but if the chunks are too large it will be cumbersome as the fruit will freeze more solid than the rest. At this point you can strain out the seeds, but I like them left in.

Freeze in an ice cream maker, according to the manufacture’s directions.

strawberry ice

our friends ate it with gusto

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Cindy August 25, 2010 at 8:53 pm

I SO miss your cooking…among other things…

Kristen August 26, 2010 at 11:08 am

:( I miss you too.

Sophie August 26, 2010 at 3:30 am

I also missed your fab recipes & welcome back! I hope you are doing well!

Your wild strawberries almond milk ice cream looks the best!! Real flavours in here!

Kisses from Brussels to you!

Kristen August 26, 2010 at 11:11 am

Thanks Sophie, Summer was CraZy busy :-0 Time to get back to the grind stone, or the kitchen, as it may be! I need to catch up on your blog and so many others, oh gosh and my 1749 unread emails, yikes! Sending love right back to you from the states!!!

Joseph's Grainery August 26, 2010 at 10:09 am

That’s a hilarious story! Sounds like something my dad would’ve done as a kid. :) Wishin’ I was at my parents house…I’d be down the street in record time to “taste test” this for you.

Kristen August 26, 2010 at 11:20 am

I’ve heard some of the stories about your dad, I am sure he has done much worse ;-)

Jennifer August 26, 2010 at 11:45 am

That looks so yummy! We got Derrick an ice cream meaker for Fathers Day, and we have kept homemade ice cream on hand since then, it is a staple in our house. We will have to try this one out for sure.

Loved the story about your Grandma, too funny! It sounds like something my cousins and I would have done as kids, we were sneaky!!!

I have missed reading your blog. Derrick asks me all the time what the latest reciepe is for the week!!!

Kristen August 26, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Jennifer, I served this when Derrick was here, I’ve also tried it with peaches and it is fantastic! Might try plums next. I love the true fruit flavor. Tell Derrick I will try to be more predictable now that school is in session, I have a bundle of posts that I just haven’t had time to finish up. Time to get caught up! Cheers :)

Charles G Thompson September 1, 2010 at 4:38 pm

What a great post, Kristen. Love the grandmother story. I also had one like yours — stern and mean. I don’t remember her having any ice cream however. So great that you made this with almond milk. It looks wonderful.

Eliana September 2, 2010 at 5:20 pm

This ice cream looks absolutely heavenly. Wish I had a couple of scoops right now to enjoy post dinner.

Kristen September 2, 2010 at 9:44 pm

I wish I had some too :-0 thanks!