chocolate coconut cookie bars

oozing with chocolaty goodness

oozing with chocolaty goodness

Sometimes I’m in the mood for cookies, but I hate to make cookies because of the batch process.  The scooping, into the oven, rotate pans, out of oven, cool, start over, etc.  I inevitably burn the last batch.  So bar cookies it is.  This is my version of a chocolate chip cookie.  Great homework helper, well, not really, but it gets the kids to the table and that’s a start.

black & white collage

I have made these numerous times, playing with the ingredients nearly every time. These can be vegan by substituting the butter and egg with the suggestions below.  I am always tweaking recipes to make them dairy-free and egg-free. Egg-free is more difficult but I try when I can get away with it and still have a great end result.  That doesn’t always happen, but I am the only one in the house with the egg issue, so I either live with it or don’t eat it.  I tend to live with it more than live without, just my glutenous personality I suppose.

Yesterday I replaced the egg for banana and the results were a little more dense with a crumbly texture with the tiniest hint of banana.  I also over cooked them so they were harder, but I never heard a complaint.  The most common egg replacement for me is ground flaxseed.  Take 1 Tbsp of ground flax and 3 Tbsp water for each egg, mix and set aside until gelled, about 5 minutes.  I wouldn’t use this in a heavy egg preparation like say flan or custard, but in baked goods it usually works.

The picture above is made with coconut oil and eggs. The coconut oil really punches up the coconut flavor in a very good way.  Coconut oil comes as a solid so it needs to be melted and cooled for proper incorporation into the ingredients. Coconut oil has health benefits too, just Google it.

Chocolate Coconut Cookie Bars

makes a 8×8″ (20cm x 20cm) pan

• 1 cup brown sugar or muscovado sugar, my favorite)
  • 1/4 cup unrefined granulated sugar (if using sweetened coconut this is optional, follow your sweet tooth)
  • 1/2 cup melted coconut oil, unsalted butter or earth balance buttery spread (be sure to cool before adding to sugars)
  • 1 egg ~ or equivalent of egg replacer or 1/3 of a ripe banana, mashed
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup all purpose or spelt flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp fine sea salt (unless using salted butter or earth balance they contain a fair amount of salt)
  • 1 cup dark chocolate chips (I used Sunspire dairy-free dark chocolate chips)
  • 1 cup dessicated coconut (I use fine unsweetened shredded coconut from the health food store, use what you like)

Preheat oven to 350°F

lightly grease a 8×8″ baking pan

Melt the coconut oil and allow to cool to about room temperature.

In a large bowl add the sugars and the cooled coconut oil and mix with a wooden spoon until combined.  Then add the egg or equivalent and the vanilla.  Beat again until well combined.  In a smaller bowl combine the flour, baking soda and salt until well mixed then add to the sugar mixture.  Mix until well blended but do not beat it to death. Add the chocolate and coconut.

When all ingredients are completely combined, scoop batter into the baking pan.  Smooth it out, if the mix is a little dry press it evenly into the pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.  Cool slightly, if you can wait that long ;-)

{ 26 comments… read them below or add one }

sara February 12, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Haha, glad to know that I’m not the only one out there screwing up that last tray of cookies!!

These bars look like they need to be sitting on a plate, in my lap, in front of a pile of movies. Mmmm..sounds like a perfect Friday night to me. Thank you for posting this!!

Kristen February 13, 2010 at 10:08 am

That sounds like the perfect evening! Glad to know I am not the only one with ‘last tray syndrome’

chef renee February 12, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Are you allergic to egg’s? Just curious. I grew up hating egg’s. I am still weird about them! Thanks for the cookies. I’ll put them on my thighs with the rest.
Did you take the black and white pictures of (your son?) they are real good. really good.

Kristen February 13, 2010 at 10:21 am

Not actually an allergy, thank god, but a sensitivity. So a few days after I eat them I get uncomfortable. It’s not the end of the world unless I over indulge. I have never been a huge egg lover, but I find that I crave them more now ;-) I catch myself thinking with certain dishes “this would taste great with a very runny poached egg on top.”

Thanks for the comments on the pictures, they are of my 2 boys. I am a novice photographer, but I am having fun with it.

Cindy February 12, 2010 at 6:14 pm

You’re killing me!!!

Kristen February 13, 2010 at 10:29 am

That’s what friends are for!

Sophie February 15, 2010 at 3:56 am

Hello Kristen!!

these cookies look so good,…waw!! So goewie!

MMMMM,..I just gave you an AWARD!! You so deserve it!!

Come over @ my latest post & find out why!!

Charles G Thompson February 15, 2010 at 10:12 am

I love chocolate chip cookies – the gooier the better – so this recipe is right up my alley. Chocolate chip BARS! Better than cookies! Love the idea of the coconut oil.

Kitchen Butterfly February 15, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I ♥ the way the chocolate looks…warm and melted and oh so yummy!

chefrenee February 16, 2010 at 11:13 am

Let me say, you passed “novice” in photography!

Maria February 17, 2010 at 7:39 am

I love that stacked plate. They look so good!

Brattypants February 17, 2010 at 8:55 am

Ahh – talk about making my mouth water! These sound decadent. And I love the fact that they are done in bars as opposed to natural cookie form. I’m not real big on the cookie baking process either, so these sound great! Also seem great for a quick, “whip up” snack!

Memoria February 17, 2010 at 2:45 pm

These bars look amazing! I love that first shot with the melted chocolate. Goodness!! Great photos of your children as well!

Megan February 19, 2010 at 9:09 pm

What wonderful photos-I love that the chocolate is also melty and gooey-yum, yum, YUM!

heidileon February 23, 2010 at 4:19 am

flax seeds as egg substitution…..mm…you’ve left me thinking. I might try that *process* one of these days.

Nice recipe, I particularly like the addition of coconut oil.

Nichole March 1, 2010 at 4:27 pm

YUMMY! These are so quick and easy to make. Perfect treat for the kids (and me of course). I didn’t have coconut oil so I will definitely be trying these again soon with the coconut oil! Thanks Kristen

Mary@CookEatShare March 3, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I’d like to personally invite you to join the CookEatShare Author network. CookEatShare has had over 2.5 million unique visitors in 2009, and I think they will be interested in your content. Users will be guided to your actual blog, so this is a free way to increase page views and visitors to your site.

Please visit http://cookeatshare.com/blogs/apply for additional information or contact me at mary@cookeatshare.com for more information, to get unique link to claim and customize your profile.

Michelle Weisman March 17, 2010 at 6:28 am

I made these yesterday with banana and coconut oil for a vegan friend of mine and they were great!!!! I would have never known they were vegan! I will definitely make these again and trick out everyone that is not vegan!
thanks!

Sara Angel August 16, 2010 at 8:21 pm

These look wonderful! If I had just made some chocolate coconut bars (http://bit.ly/bzjomU) I would be all over these.

Kristen August 17, 2010 at 11:06 am

thanks for the comment Sara, Your chocolate coconut bars look delicious!

Nicki May 13, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Hi, I’m looking for an egg-free treat to pack for my son a birthday treat for school. So just wondering how many a batch of these makes? And if I make the night before would you suggest keeping them in the fridge until he goes to school??? Thank you!

Kristen May 13, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Hi Nicki, I use 9-inch square pan and get nine bars. You can cut them smaller and get more. I see no need to refrigerate them and do not and have had no trouble. Best wishes to your son for his birthday!

Jennifer July 30, 2012 at 7:44 pm

would gluten free all purpose flour work or should i stick to spelt flour? its my first time cooking GF so i don’t know the difference!

Kristen July 30, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Jennifer, Thanks for your question. I would guess GF all purpose flour should work, but I have never tried it. Spelt is an ancient wheat, therefor it does have gluten. Many people who have a gluten intolerance can tolerate spelt, but not all. If you are gluten-free because of Celiac Disease I probably wouldn’t try it. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

chocolate girl August 6, 2013 at 1:29 pm

these look sooooooooooooo good( I nearly started drooling on my keyboard) I’m baking a batch right now and hope they turn out like yours did thought i’m a crazy chocolate lover so I went adventurous and added cocoa powder too.

xoxo ,” chocolate girl lol “

chocolate girl August 6, 2013 at 1:40 pm

cheers! there done and are really delish (okay maybe a little crazy on the chocolate) but are really good and I will so make these again. Thought maybe a little more flour next time.

Thank’s again Kristen another great snack well done.

You go girl!